BIBLE VERSE: Psalms 23:1-6
MEMORISE : The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want (Psalms 23:1)
Jesus is the true Shepherd. He states this about Himself and lived the life of true Shepherd. A shepherd is different from a hireling. What is shepherding? It is totally a nomadic life. It is a life of total commitment to the flock one is leading. It is a life of total surrender, responsibility, and risk. David is an example being risked against bears, lions, other wild animals, and harsh weather conditions, to safeguard his flock. Of course, Jesus risked the most by surrendering His life for His flock. It is all about taking an oversight function for those under one. A shepherd is directly under God, the Bishop and Shepherd of our souls. A shepherd is obliged to feed the sheep (Jn. 21:1-6).
Apostle Peter and Paul jointly referred to Jesus as “The great shepherd of the sheep” (cf. Heb. 13:20; 1 Pet. 5:4). To the Romans, Paul says, as many as are LED by the SPIRIT of God, they are the sons of God. The Holy Spirit plays the role of a shepherd over the believers. Are you under His shepherding? (cf. Rom. 8:9, 14). According to Asaph, the Messiah, Jesus is “The Shepherd of Israel,” (Psa. 80:1). If the Shepherd could lower Himself and come to the level of the sheep, isn’t it reasonable for the sheep to submit to the leadership of the Shepherd? Here are some of the results when you allow God to be your Shepherd:
1. “Breakthrough” in academics, profession, businesses, government.
2. Through divine directives, leading, or shepherding by the Lord Jesus.
3. Needs are fully met …I shall not want… (v. 1)
4. Enjoying favourable condition …Lie down in green pastures (v. 2)
5. Satisfaction…beside the still waters (v. 2)
6. Divine restoration…restores my soul (v. 3a)
7. Make Righteous … leads me in path of righteousness (v. 3b)
8. Protection: I will fear no evil (v. 4)
9. Comfort from God’s guidance… Your rod and staff they comfort me (v. 4)
10. Provision …prepare a table before me, (v. 5)
11. Unction and enablement… anoint my head with oil (v. 5)
12. Abundance/sufficiency… my cup runs over (v. 5)
1. Lord Jesus, I receive You into my heart today, as Saviour and Lord. Be my Shepherd forever.
2. Lord Jesus, You are my Shepherd, help me to submissively and patiently remain under Your guide and control, all the days of my life.
3. Lord Jesus, by Your mercy and grace seek and restore all the wandering, lost souls, and bring them back to the fold.